So my Human finally figured out what that weird Friday morning smell was. I smelled it on Saturday afternoon and went over to tell the surge protector that it was stupid. Then that stupid surge protector decided to catch on fire!
My Human noticed the orange flames shooting out of it and she was able to take care of the situation without damage to anything other than the surge protector and a plug. Thing definitely could have been worse, and we are all happy that the fire didn't start until Saturday afternoon.
My Human has decided to replace the functioning surge protectors will better quality ones. She's been reading about them and found a couple of models that look promising. One of them even has a smoke detector attached so that it shuts down if it senses smoke.
This is what my Human thinks may have happened: We had a bit of a flood in our house when there was a big rain storm. The surge protector got moist. As it turns out, that's a bad thing. Also,somedog may have peed on it. But I'm not saying anything about that.
We've learned a few things:
1. Surge strips don't necessarily turn off if they are moist.
2. They also don't necessarily shut off if they are on fire.
3. You shouldn't use the same surge protector for years and years.
4. You can find more tips here: Power Strip Safety.
I've decided that I'm going to be our pack's designated Fire Marshal now.