TURBO NEWS NETWORK: Take time to stop and smell the bacon . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hold Your Fire

woo!

So my Human finally figured out what that weird Friday morning smell was. I smelled it on Saturday afternoon and went over to tell the surge protector that it was stupid. Then that stupid surge protector decided to catch on fire!

My Human noticed the orange flames shooting out of it and she was able to take care of the situation without damage to anything other than the surge protector and a plug. Thing definitely could have been worse, and we are all happy that the fire didn't start until Saturday afternoon.

My Human has decided to replace the functioning surge protectors will better quality ones. She's been reading about them and found a couple of models that look promising. One of them even has a smoke detector attached so that it shuts down if it senses smoke.

This is what my Human thinks may have happened: We had a bit of a flood in our house when there was a big rain storm. The surge protector got moist. As it turns out, that's a bad thing. Also,somedog may have peed on it. But I'm not saying anything about that.

We've learned a few things:

1. Surge strips don't necessarily turn off if they are moist.
2. They also don't necessarily shut off if they are on fire.
3. You shouldn't use the same surge protector for years and years.
4. You can find more tips here: Power Strip Safety.


I've decided that I'm going to be our pack's designated Fire Marshal now.

11 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Fire Marshall Bill?

Woo were furry furry lukhky!

Please don't pawmit any pee-mailing on the elekhtrikhal stuff!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Owner of Storm and Jackal said...

Yikes! That is scary! I'll have to go give all of our surge protectors a sniff. Especially since we're living in an old house built back in the twenties and it doesn't have any wiring in most of the walls, so all of our eckle-tricity stuff is run off of extension cords and surge protectors!! Scary!!

Jackal

Cyber-sibes said...

We're glad woo all survived . Sounds like good advice for the bipeds. They need to keep up on this stuff to keep US safe.

woos & a-roos
Star & Jack a-roo

Marigold said...

Hmm... I wonder if we can get one of those for the barn. Boo pees everywhere.

The Thundering Herd said...

Wooo - Glad everything is ok and thanks for the warning. You have our humans checking our surge protectors this morning.

Tracey and Huffle said...

That's a very responsible job Tubey but I know you are up to the task.

Huffle Mawson

Twix said...

Good work catching that! Our surge protector went out not too long ago so we have a new one. I will have to remember not to pee on it!

Fred said...

Oh dear...I'll try to remember not to peepee on ours. That's tough!

Holly and Khady said...

Oh Unkey Tubey! I am so thankful you are all ok, and that your human was home when the fire started! Very good info about replacing surge protectors. My humane dad is an electrician, so he is always sure we are protected!

KhL

Kathryn and Ari said...

Do Fire Marshalls get badges? And red helmets?

We found your safety lesson very useful, Tubey. And our favorite piece of advice on the pdf file was this: "Do not staple, tack, or tape a surge protector or power strip." Are people really putting staples and tacks into electrical cords? Talk about STUPID.

Kayla and Maebe said...

We are glad that disaster was averted. Great job, Tubey!

WOOOO woo rar rar rar,
Kayla and Maebe